Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rockhopper Sport vs Comp??

24K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mo6500 
#1 ·
Hi guys and gals,

Long story short, looking to upgrade my old Fuji Nevada 1.0 to something new. My kids are 6 and 8 and are really enjoying biking and rather than spending the money on tuneups and new parts for my old one, I figured I'd invest in something new.

The old Fuji has 26" wheels. The two bikes I have been looking at online are Specialized Rockhopper's. The Sport and the Comp. Both of which are discounted now right now. Sports has 27.5" wheels where the comp has 29".

I will be riding mostly pavement with the kids around the neighborhoods and around the lakes etc., but will venture off onto some basic trails on my own and in the future with them.

Both of these bikes would be a decent upgrade to what I have. However, is the comp worth the extra $$ vs the Sport?

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.

#2 ·
It's mostly just difference in parts. I recommend the Comp model because it already has a 1x drivetrain. The Rockhopper should be a good all-round family bike for you to ride around the neighborhood and explore trails. Regardless what bike you buy, I recommend that you buy a set of good pedals and grips. Your local Speshy dealer should have $50 pedals like OneUp Components or Race Face. Those $50 pedals are great because they give you grip and last forever. The hand grips will be personal preference. If you don't like the stock grips, try some other ones on the market. My favorite set are Deity Supracush grips. You won't need another grip once you grab one of those bad boys!

I'm considering the idea of buying a Comp for my 16 year old daughter seeing they are on sale. She wants to try mountain biking with me.

Oh if you have a few extra bucks, find yourself a nice pair of mountain biking shoes. You will destroy your regular shoes with aftermarket pedals. Stock pedals have the tendency to make your feet slip which is why I push aftermarket pedals.

Reactions: emhancock74
#3 · (Edited)
Look at the pins when you consider pedals. There are versions with longer sharp pins and versions with stubby, shorter and rounded pins. The sharp longer pins will cut up the bottoms of regular running shoes. They're meant for the sticky rubber soles of shoes like 5.10 Freerides and help keep your feet where you want them for big air jumps and mid-air bike spins or flips. Shin guards will cut down on leg damage when you slip off.
Shorter, rounded, stubby pins work fine without shin guards and any shoes you're wearing with some tread on the bottom. Keep your heels low over bumps and you can't come off the pedals. It's kinda a technique thing. Amazon.com : Origin8 Ultim8 Slimline Platform Pedals, 9/16", Black : Bike Pedals : Sports & Outdoors

The bikes are limited by the plastic bushings forks with no adjustable rebound. Fine for bike paths and smooth trails.
My Walmart has the Kent Trouvaille back in stock for $400. Kent Bicycles 29" Men's Trouvaille Mountain Bike Medium, Black and Taupe - Walmart.com . One size. It has a tapered head tube the Hoppers lack. You can put a good fork on it.
This Walmart MTB looks incredible, but is it really? - YouTube
Was putting $425 of upgrades into our Walmart Bike a good idea? - YouTube

#4 ·
I'd also recommend the Comp, due mostly to the 1x drivetrain. I think the microshift Advent is better than the 'plain' microshift and Shimano Altus on the Sport. The Comp has Spec Stout wheels that may be a little better than the non-branded rims on the Sport. Both are on sale right now, so your timing is good whichever way you go.

#5 · (Edited)
Upgrading from your Fuji Nevada 1.0 sounds like a great idea, especially with your kids showing a keen interest in biking! Investing in something new could provide a better experience for your family rides. While considering options, it's essential to look at bikes that cater to both performance and comfort for family outings. Have you checked out any recent reviews or recommendations? For insightful updates and biking news, https://www.vpesports.cоm/ might offer some interesting reads, even though it's more esports-oriented. It's always good to explore all avenues when making such a fun and significant family investment.

#7 ·
Here's another vote for the Comp version, mainly due to the 1x drivetrain. Especially if you get out on real trails, you will love not having to jockey two shifters, plus front derailleurs tend to be fussy anyway. The better specs on other components is worthwhile also...I have never bought a bike part and later thought I should have just went with something lower end. On the other hand, I've spent way too much trying to save a few bucks and in the end wished I'd bought something better.

#8 ·
Wow, and I just purchased a new (own a 25y/o "RC" since new) Rockhopper Comp and think the equipment has taken a big step back from yester-year. I find the Microsoft Advent shifter noisy and "clunky", and more like a kid's toy, having had it back to the shop for adjustment only to be told "It is within spec." As for the Shram entry level hydraulic brakes - yes, they work and are adequate, but they are no better than the old cable operated rim pull brakes. Add to that, my rear caliper is temperamental, with rubbing and clicking occurring seemingly randomly and when cornering. When I contacted Specialized AU about the issues, they were very polite but said "Yes, there have been downgrades in equipment levels to reach a price point over the years, and I should just take it back to the agent reseller and ask them to try again, and if it could not be fixed, to have them report back to Specialized for a solution." Perhaps this is due in part to the place of manufacture today, I found after I purchased the bike, a sticker which says, "Made in Cambodia."

#10 ·
Comp build, 1x drivetrain, and 29" wheels.
I would recommend the OneUP composite pedals, they are light, hook up very good and inexpensive.

I would also advise you to check the Elite 29 build which has a solid Shimano drivetrain and brakes, air fork and tubeless-ready wheels. A friend of mine owns the Elite 29 for almost 2 years now and he could not be happier.

Yeah, I know that the Elite is more expensive but the whole bike industry is going through difficult times so I believe you can get a nice bargain and get yourself a great bike that you can ride in the neighborhood with your kids, and also on the trails in the future.

After all, you don't buy a new bike every day so spoil yourself a little :)