AVS Forum banner

Flickering polygons in games.

18K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Cyclone_S 
#1 ·
Hi,
I am getting a lot of flickering and jaggedness on straight edges in games.. When I move around they appear to shimmer/flicker. it's more noticeable with straight edges on polygons at a distance and where two polygons meet.. Is there a setting I can change to get rid of this? I am using a Geforce RTX 3060 see link for an example.

I have tried various Anti Aliasing settings in multiple games and in the NVIDIA control panel. Some games are worse then others but its always there.

Thanks for your input.

here are my system specs.
Windows 10 Home
Processor: 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900KS (24 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
MSI PRO Z690-A DDR4 LGA 1700 Intel Z690 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard
MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RTX 3060 Ventus 2X 12G OC
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model F4-3600C18D-64GVK
Seasonic FOCUS GX-850, 850W 80+ Gold, Full-Modular, Fan Control in Fanless, Silent, and Cooling Mode
Noctua NH-U12S, Premium CPU Cooler with NF-F12 120mm Fan (Brown)

See less See more
#3 ·
The flickering and jaggedness you're experiencing in games can be quite frustrating, but there are several potential solutions to address this issue:

Anti-Aliasing (AA): Enabling anti-aliasing in your game's settings can help smooth out jagged edges and reduce flickering. Try different AA modes (e.g., FXAA, MSAA, or TAA) to find the one that works best for your system without compromising performance too much.

Resolution: Increasing your screen resolution can also help reduce jagged edges. However, this might require a more powerful GPU to maintain smooth gameplay.

Graphics Drivers: Make sure you have the latest graphics drivers for your GeForce RTX 3060. Nvidia frequently releases driver updates that can improve game compatibility and performance.

V-Sync: Enabling V-Sync can sometimes help by synchronizing your monitor's refresh rate with your GPU's rendering rate, reducing screen tearing and flickering.

Game-specific settings: Some games have specific settings to mitigate flickering or aliasing. Check the in-game options and experiment with different settings.

Nvidia Control Panel: You can also try adjusting settings in the Nvidia Control Panel, such as Anisotropic Filtering and Texture Filtering Quality, to improve image quality.

Monitor Refresh Rate: Ensure that your monitor is set to its native refresh rate in both Windows settings and the game's settings.

Check for Overheating: Excessive heat can sometimes cause graphical artifacts. Ensure your GPU isn't overheating by cleaning dust from your PC and optimizing airflow.

Monitor Cable: Ensure that your monitor cable (HDMI, DisplayPort, etc.) is securely connected, as loose connections can lead to display issues.

If the problem persists after trying these steps, it may be worth seeking help from the game's community or the manufacturer's support forums for your specific GPU model. They might provide further insights or solutions tailored to your hardware and the games you're playing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.